26 June 2008

The dogs' bollocks

Murphy is a ham. I don’t think that one could be more of a ham even if they were a pig. He is seriously full of himself and enjoys it every minute. The dogs will go swimming in the lake to chase toys and afterward Murphy comes bounding out and off into the tall grass, as if he’s running only because he knows he can go fast. But he’s a sweetheart and, boy does he know how to suck up to a girl. Of course, my heart melts for him and his puppy dog browns. But he’s a bad boy and has selective hearing. Murphy and Abby have their fun together chasing birds and rabbits and squirrels. They do their own thing and run off at every opportune moment. It can be kind of stressful keeping an eye out for them when I don’t know if they are running for fun or to hunt. Darling Katie is always by my side, though, because of her arthritis she can’t keep up with the others, so instead keeps me company. She walks in my shadow and is sometimes in the way, but I help keep the flies off her head all the same. Sometimes we are four and others five. Maggie has her own agenda and sometimes likes to stay in the barn and sleep. Never the less, we follow almost the same route everyday.
Then there are times, like today, when these dogs are going to be the death of me. Murphy and Abby decided that it would be great to go off the property and cross the road to get to the reservoir. I didn’t even know that they could get that far, but apparently this place doesn’t have a fence around the perimeter. And for some reason none of the dogs have collars or tags. Murphy and Abby were off and one of the barn managers told me he saw them on the hill across the road. So, I jumped on my bike and whistle and yell for the scoundrels. After a half hour of searching, I start to freak out. What if one of them got hit by a car?! What if someone took them to the pound?! With tears streaming down my face, I called their names at the top of my lungs. Damn Dogs.
I was scared for their lives. But mine was a subject of thought too. If you lose the dogs you are taking care of isn’t that kind of a FAIL?! Not easily explained, at least not to this lady. Anyway, after another ten minutes they finally came and were severely scolded. They both had bristles and pieces of wilderness stuck to them and all I could do was sigh in relief and anguish. Luckily, I wasn’t late to my dentist appointment and needless to say the dogs stayed in the house the rest of the day.
Conflict Resolved.

Chao

No comments: